Thursday, September 25, 2008

Pre-varsity tutorial

Looking back from the front seat

Your life has practically been planned for you all this time and all, if not most, of your decisions were made by your parents and your biggest decision was deciding what acne cream to use. Now the time has come for you to be independent and get used to mommy and daddy’s leash being untied; it’s time to think about your future and what you want to do and be in life.

The main thing is not to worry or feel despondent just because you are still undecided and don’t know what to do with your life. Make sure that you choose a degree that goes along with your personality and not just a degree that will bring you wealth because at the end of the day, money only brings you temporary happiness. Choosing a course is a very vital decision that requires a lot of thought and introspection. Avoid making a decision based on what your parents or friends want you to do because it’s your future and at the end of the day you will be the one stuck with a career that you may not be happy with…remember that it doesn’t matter what degree you choose because you can easily change it, a degree in something doesn’t necessarily mean that you’ll be stuck in that field. It’s never too late to change a degree and you can into any field you want to as long as you have the right qualifications or enough experience. When it comes to subject choices, ensure that you choose subjects that interest you and in order to avoid choosing arbitrary subjects that you will end up bunking or failing due to boredom, rather go to the introductory lectures the school offers in the beginning of the term.

This may seem like a hard decision but it’s chilled, you can do it! If all your predecessors did it and survived to tell the tale then so can you, so just relax and think carefully about where you want to see yourself in the next few years. There is no perfect degree, you choose a degree but what you make of it is up to you. Good luck.

Keep it real
Nae-Nae aka Da Naesh

4 comments:

CruisersLac said...

Wow, your pre-varsity experience is such a direct contrast to mine. I have been trained to make my own decisions regarding my life since I started high school, the "leash" was slowly slackend and released. All of it was under parental guidance and advice but I have always been encouraged to make my own choices and find my own purpose in life.
From choosing my own subjects to varsity to degree choices, Whatever i did, I always had my parents support, guidance and belief in what I was doing.
As a result, I believe I have found myself and my own destiny and every choice I make regarding my future is intune with what I believe is my purpose. I hope that you too will be able to find who you are in your new found independence and that you will forget the world and be true to who you really are.

cruiserslac.blogspot.com (dreamer)

Anonymous said...

Your blog talks about making the right choices and learning to become independent. Before varsity, I had the privilege of making my own decisions. In high school I chose my subjects. I did not succumb to outside pressure. I remember at one stage all my teachers were putting pressure on me to choose science, but I somehow defeated them.I passed matric with flying colours because I liked my subjects.

In varsity, my parents wanted me to do law, but I refused. I made a good decision. Even though I chose the right degree, i chose a subject I do not like. I chose English. English is the worst subject ever!! I mean we talk about English and American poets!

I do not see myself taking English 2. However, I do see myself walking out of the English department with my English 1 credit in my pocket.

Starfish said...

i believe your post is quite detailed and gives hope especially to those who have problems making decisions .But i still think it is a bit one-sided.It seems to express the view that everyone who is coming for first year is confused about what they should take up as their degree.Well,not everyone is ,so at least offer some advice for those that have already made up their minds.And changing degrees constantly is not an option.That would only waste time because students will spend five years doing a three year degree.So encouraging them by saying they can change the degree at any time would be misleading them.Encourage them to be certain of the decisions they make right from the beginning.They could make or break you.

joker said...

Wow, it is funny how much I relate so much to this piece of writing. The way the writer has expressed her opinions on what she feels she has to know and understand about the things that happen in university and her life in general. she talks of picking the right degree and this is exactly how I feel about school and taking up a degree, i feel like people should take up degrees that suit them and their personalities and study things that will make them happy at the end of the day. Its not about your parents nor your friends because at the end of it all you will be the one that will be left stressed out because of a degree that is not making you happy, but making everybody else around you happy, what is the point of all that effort, so this blog to me felt close to home.