Thursday, September 25, 2008

A letter of Blindsight

Hey Pistol Pete

You haven’t ever heard the name before, I know, but this year it is one of several you will pick up along the way. I know you are wondering if you made the right choice in choosing to attend Rhodes and the answer to that is a simple yes. Not because you will attain a measure of clarity as to exactly what you want to do with your life, or will accomplish anything that would be regarded as significant to anyone else except for yourself, but rather because you will learn life lessons that cannot be described merely with words and make friendships that cannot be measured by a price tag because they will come to mean more to you than all the money in the world, even though, unfortunately, you will not develop the ability to express this to them throughout the course of the year.

Sport is going to feature an incredible amount in your life during the upcoming year my man and you will learn to rely on it, as well as time spent in the gym, possibly more than any other single factor, other than your friends. Speaking of which, take the time to step away from your fundamental friendship group and spend time with others because some of the most amazing times of your life will happen with them. Do not, however, forget the friends you have had for a longer span of time than the ones you will make at Rhodes, because they will also account for a lot of the happiness you will experience throughout the year.

I guess this is the part where I should tell you to completely avoid all forms of fighting, but I know you won’t take my advice anyway so you will have to learn to live with the regrets just as I have. I can tell you though that some of the mistakes you make will shape your personality in ways you never thought possible and develop friendships born from common ground, as well as ones that spring from the fires of a heated, but undeserved dislike. Keep an open mind, work hard, play hard and above all just relax and let yourself have fun.

Keep it real man.

Pistol Pete

2 comments:

Superman said...

Yo Pistol Pete!
I hear you... The friendships that are formed here in Rhodes are that which will last for a life time. And I am so glad you too have a positive outlook on Rhodes; I love Rhodes and all the new things I have learnt about myself as well as other people. I completely agree when you say "work hard, play hard and above all just relax", because that is exactly what I wanted someone to tell me when I was about to attend Rhodes. I did not want to hear about the bad stories or the possible struggles I was going to face; I just wanted to know if I was going to enjoy my time so that I could then take the bad along with the good.
Keep up the awesome blogging!
Superman
www.gspotinformer.blogspot.com

Steve said...

Hey Pistol Pete


I’ve read your letter and I’ve got to say, I couldn’t agree more. I feel like I have made the right choice in coming to Rhodes not because of what the University or the degree can get for me, but because of what I’ve felt and the friendships and relationships that I have developed over the year. I especially like what you said about making your own mistakes and learning from them. I have made a lot of mistakes so far at Rhodes but if I had to, I would do it all over again because you better yourself from your mistakes and they shape you into the man you will one day become. And as you said, work hard and have fun… It is hard to find the balance between these two and I hope you are able to, because you can’t come to Rhodes and just do nothing else but work because you will not develop the necessary social skills that are essential in meeting new people, and you cannot be a consistent partier because your life will just go to the dogs. I hope you manage to find your equilibrium.

Awesome blogging mate

Steve

P.S. I think the guy you hit at Friars is still in the hospital!